Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Cooking with Clara: Episode 6 - Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake

I was recently informed by a frousin that diets were no longer an issue and to "do my worst". Obviously I picked the classic, famous, always asked for Aunt Visor ULTIMATE cake. Do my worst is RIGHT yo. Did you gize remember that Clara comes over for my baking days? She totally does. And this pic was taken cuz she thought I went outside to the front yard and she totally missed me.
Now, fair warning here. This girl is On. The. Move. She's not as easy to take pics of anymore. I can't get that baby to sit still for a second. All I do is run around after her hoping she'll momentarily pause for effect. Then I finally do and...................

CLARA!!!! Modesty............PLEASE!!

Take note: This IS what my thighs (and yours for that matter) will look like after tasting this cake. Cuz you won't be able to stop eating it/making it.
I personally had a 4 1/2 year old have a total meltdown on the kitchen floor tonight after learning his daddy ate the last piece of cake. It's like liquid crack. 75% of my friends ask for this cake on their birthday as their present. That's all they want. A cake to themselves.

Anyhoo, it's pretty sad that alls a baby has to play with in my house is some leftover star wars cards and her big sister's flip flops.


Between moving boxes....

Good thing walking is her newest "toy".


And btw, my other friends who don't ask for this cake for their prezzie haven't actually tasted it yet. It's only a matter of time really.


CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK BUNDT CAKE
Boil: 1 cube butter, 1/2 C oil, 1 C. water
In food processor (or whatever you use): beat 2 eggs, add, 2 C flour, 2 C sugar, 4 Tbl cocoa, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt. Mix. While machine is on pour in butter mixture and then 1/2 C buttermilk (dudes, you can totally add 2 Tbl vinegar to regular milk a few minutes before to make your own buttermilk but the real stuff is best), and 1 tsp vanilla. Batter will be runny. Bake 40-60 minutes in a well greased and floured bundt pan. (this part is tricky cuz every oven is diff. It needs to have a knife come out clean but still spongy to the touch).
Frosting: 1 box powdered sugar, 1 cube butter (you got a problem with that?), 4 Tbl cocoa, 6 Tbl milk.

Let's get a close up you say?

OH. You mean of the cake....right.


19 comments:

Race Fam said...

So what day of the week do you normally watch that cute baby, because it looks to me like that would be a good day to stop by your house!! All the yummy foods you make, just looking at them makes me feel like I need to hit the gym!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't think I've ever had this cake before but you won't make that mistake again next time I come to town.... will you? ::raising eyebrow and giving you the "Look At Landee" motion:: (pause) No, you won't.

Can I frost Clara's thighs and just eat those? Jaykay Becca! jaykay.

Becca said...

Now let's be fair. Those dresses sure do get in the way when you're learning to walk so a little "hike it up" is called for, wouldn't you say?

I'm glad that picture of her at the door wasn't her watching me drive away. How heartbreaking that would have been. Good thing she has her Auntie M to cuddle and pose for.

Carol said...

Thanks for the great idea Tiffers. .. frost Clara's leg and take a bite. Why didn't I think of that? Really, the cake is the best in the world and I have to say, Uncle Visor has mentioned more than once that Memzy's comes out better than mine. Hmmm.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Ooooh! Thanks so much for the recipe. I'll just add that stick of butter from the frosting straight to my thighs, since I'll be eating the ENTIRE cake!! Awesome pix!

Cristin said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOWWEEEEEEEEEE

Markie23 said...

Can you substitute the butter, oil, sugar, cocoa, more sugar, more butter, and more cocoa, with Tofu? I gained two pounds just looking at those pictures and reading the ingredients list.

eekareek said...

Oh my goodness, I want a baby so bad! That cake looks like the most delicious thing in the world. Also, you are a great photographer. You really should take pictures of food professionally.

Br Boys said...

This cake is on my favorites list on my blog. LLLOOOVVEE it!!! I have 6 months till my B-day comes around again. For all of you who like Jake's tex mex chocolate cake...This is WAY better!!!

Hazel said...

I am so going to make this cake for my friends that actually come to visit me once in a while. We will be sure to post pictures of us indulging, and thinking about how things just aren't the same without you...

Memzy said...

Lisa-- every other Tuesday. Stop by anytime!

Landee--yes you have had that cake. Be srs!!

Becca--no crying for mom. Doyee

Mom--the first time I heard that from dad he was pumped full of morphine so I couldn't believe it was true.

Vanessa-- I know right?

Cristin-- srsly

Markie--let me know how that turns out mmkay? I need an intervention.

Eek-- you gonna have a baby? And I'll have my people call the food-picture-people and see what happens.

Br boys--this is an example of my friend who gets a cake for her beeday. Every year.

StandsMom said...

Memz, I'd love to have some cake. I'm already trying to figure out what event I can create as an excuse to make the cake so I can have some and not feel guilty that I just made it for myself. You know, the whole hubby allergic to chocolate and all? I'd also like to hire you as a photographer for my recipe blog. Are you up for it? I need to set up a photo-shoot for Wednesday. I'm making lasagna for Landee.

Markie23 said...

That Jakes Tex-Mex comparison is a HUGE compliment 'cause I LOOOOVE Jake's Tex-Mex chocolate cake!

E said...

You win this round. But I'm determined to develop a case of anorexia nervosa after this.

kristi said...

I'm trying to think of an occasion that would be fabulous enough to make this cake for. "Friday" sounds good, yes, but that's still 12 hours away. Hmmm . . .

Emily said...

I'm not sure which looks yummier, Clara's thighs or that chocolate cake.

Mary said...

Never could frost a bundt cake without it crumbling into little bitty pieces. How'd you do that?!!!

Hot Pants said...

One time someone sent me a treat in the mail. But it was just a burnt pooh loaf and didn't taste so good. You should try send that cake to me in the mail and see if it turns out better. And I would lay down and die for legs as good looking as Clara's. That's right, lay down, on a bed of roses, and die.

StandsMom said...

Memz, I'm throwing myself out there and making this cake for the first time for my parents and sisters for Easter. Anything I should know ahead of time? Thanks!!!!!!

Blog Archive

About Us