Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TUNE IN TUESDAY -- or "Coming out of the closet (pantry)"

This post could also be titled "I got a part time job!" or "You gize aren't gonna believe this" or even "What was I THINKING!". You see I'm just going to cut right to the advice this week. No beating around the bush.

Good Advice#1: USE. COUPONS. I know what you're thinking. Cuz I used to think the same things too. Why would I waste my time and energy on finding/cutting/clipping coupons when I can just go to the store and buy the generic brand for less? OR It just makes people buy stuff that they normally wouldn't buy otherwise, hence spending MORE money. OR my favorite Coupons are for nerds. I've asked myself those same things for years now. Turns out.....I am a nerd. I’m just being honest here. I feel it’s important at this stage in our relationship.

Long story longish--Shed has local business owners once a week on his radio show. About a month back he had this loverly lady on who has a little internet business being a coupon guru. Started in our humble little town of Bake-O and is now having brazillions of hits every month all over the country. Shed comes home telling me about how amazing this concept was, how much money this lady saved, how she was having a seminar for other mommy-nerds in town a couple weeks from then, blah, blah, blah. I did what I always do...balk at the idea of coupons, and in fact, get offended at such a ridiculous idea, since I am such a good keeper of our budget and stuff. Reasonable right? I made faces, arguments and the like. Cut to a few days later and I'm secretly coupon shopping. It only took me one transaction at Target to see those minuses coming off the register and I was hooked.


So, now my pantry looks a little like this:

And something like this:

And not a single item there cost me more than $1. Most of them more like $.50. So, I proceed to sign up for said seminar and, in the meantime, lo and behold my other "couponers" are appearing!! JennyESP turns out, is an avid couponer. Maybe she had mentioned before but I failed to take note since that wasn't in my vocabulary. She's now not only my cousin-by-marriage and eBFF but now she is also my cBFF (coupon BFF). I'm filing for full custody of her as my blood sister first thing tomorrow. She introduced me to this Krazy Coupon Lady who has a whole coupons database in there!!



Bottom line, if you do it right you get stuff so cheap you wanna cry or stuff like this for F-R-E-E.

Photobucket

You know, now that I mention it. Not only did I get this stuff for free but they paid me $1.50 for that lotion, $.75 for that toothbrush, and $1.oo for that razor. (Note that I've marked these things with a sharpee. I don't wanna take for granted my skillz as I'm lathering my skin with lotion. I want to remember it always.) I felt like I should really take it off their hands. It's like stealing! But instead of shame and possible jail time you get to keep your temple rec!! I'll admit it, the money saved is good. It's really good. But the "game" or "sticking it to the man" is really what floats my boat. My sailboat full of food.

Good Advice #2: Sign up for, or contribute money to, the Defeat ALS Walk for this upcoming Saturday!! Uncle Visor will be too cute to miss in his wheelchair of fire and Diet Beverage hat that looks something like this. <<<that part might not be true but it's worth a shot suggesting it to my dad right? Anyway, even a few bucks would be awes. They haven't met their goal yet. Plus, it would be really sweet if we could find a cure so other totally cool families like mine didn't have to go through this crappy disease. Plus, I'd like to secure my status as their favorite kid. Which isn't really a secret, I mean, everybody knows that. And don't forget my mom (Aunt Visor) will be passing out T-shirts. It's time to diem the carpe you gize.



Now that you are sufficiently exhausted, it's your turn to ask me stuff. Lay it on me cuz I've gained 10 IQ points this week already.

16 comments:

Elder Jack Anderson said...

You lost me at "I got a part-time job!" cuz that indicates this takes 20 hours a week to do. NO thankies. But I'm way excited for you & your happiness in finding meaning in this thing called life.

As for my Q:

How much better do you think New Moon is gonna be than Twilight? Greater than, less than or equal to? I'm thinking if Jacob has his shirt off for even 40% of the time, it's gonna be greater than. Your thoughts?

LovingtheSixPackNotBoughtWithCoupons

E said...

You nailed it when you said couponing is more about sticking it to the man, than saving hundreds of dollars and stuffing your pantry with practically free cereal and Fiber One bars. And Landee also nailed it when she said it takes 20 hours a week. It's easy to get hooked/obsessed and spend hours a day planning your shopping trips. I had to limit myself to 2-4 coupon sprees a month.

My Query,
In the New Moon previews, why does Edward's shirtless body look akin to Mr. Burns? Confused.

Signed,
ThinkingOfSwitchingToTeamJacob

Emily said...

I REALLY have tried to get into the couponing thing but it just makes my head spin. Good for you! My strategy for saving money at the grocery store is just feeding my family spaghetti, german pancakes and bean burritos for dinner. But, that's just me.

Here's my question about couponing tho: Do you have to subscribe to the Sunday paper to really save money?

Krissy said...

Glad you are a fellow couponer. It gives me my little shopping high for the week...there's nothing like getting stuff for next to nothing!

Anyway, I am trying to get my christmas shopping done early this year, and since you are obviously the expert on all things boy...what is the best boy toy ever made for a four year old?? (Preferrably something that will provide hours of entertainment with as little adult supervision as possible<--am I a great mom or what?)

Sincerely,
PreggoAndVeryGrumpyMrs.Claus

Carol said...

In an effort to experiment with the coupon/saving phylosophy--Dad and I went to Leo's for lunch today and asked for the "senior discount" of 15/% --ordered a side of their super ranch dressing--and realized that with the discount, they paid us $.76 to eat their dressing!!!! It works. It really works. I promise to save all my Sunday coupons and give to you cuz I don't wanna get in to the coupon game. But I'm proud of YOU.

Thanks for the shout-out about the ALS Walk this Saturday. You ARE our favorite, as is Becca, Nick and Kevin. It's OK to have 4 favorites. And the soda hat--stellar idea. One side diet Pepsi, the other side regular Pepsi, connected by one straw and presto--Dad's favorite mixture.

homegirl said...

I'm in, tell me what to do!

Memzy said...

Landee--I'm sad for you. Truly I am. It just so happens I have saved $320 this month. As per your question: It's gonna be WAY better. If only b/c we get to see it for the first time on screen instead of our heads.

Jespy--True....it can be addictive-making for sure. In the first few weeks I was all consumed and giddy with my planning. Now I take about 30 min a day to check the blog and my coupons, etc. I think it gets faster/easier the more familiar you are with it. And as far as Edward is concerned. ::sigh:: They are having to promote Jacob more onnacuzza the content of this book. Otherwise no one would go see it.

Emily--it totally made my head spin at first too. Which is why I made so many faces in the beginning to Shed. But German pancakes are the BEST so go with that!! And you do have to subscribe to the paper. But that's like $6/month versus over $300 in savings soooo....I had to get over that too.

Krissy---I know right? The first time I got stuff for nothing I had to stop myself from giggling to the checker like a psychopath. I just waited until I got to the privacy of my car. As far as your boy toy (<<::snicker::), that's tricky cuz it depends on the kid. But I've found that a HUGE hit in our family has been yegos, er, I mean Legos. The best kind for the 4 year old are the "medium" sized ones. I have them all in a big basket and just let him go at it. Granted it takes some cleaning up afterward but it will give you a good hour of quiet/alone/free time. And let me be clear here, the independence factor in a toy is my #1 priority. No shame in that.

Mom--Niiice. Working the senior discount!! Any discount is a good one. That's so cute that you said that Nick and Becca and Kevin are your faves too. But I think only Becca reads this so you are safe in just putting her name on there. I won't tell her you are just trying to be nice. kthanks. This drink idea is exactly what I was thinking. Exactly.

Memzy said...

Homegirl--You snuck in there!! Just click on the link for "this loverly lady" and it will take you to her blog/site. She will tell you everything to do. And srsly, I'm obsessed so call me if you have any questions.

Christa said...

I am way intrigued!!!! You have inspired me!

Pearl Girl said...

I have been couponing for like a year, and loved it at first BUT I kinda hate it. I LOVE SAVING money, but the fun part is over. It takes so much time I am starting to get ulcers everytime I have to go shopping. On the up side, I aactually have my years supply for the first time in my life. and my kids are in granola bar, fruit snack heaven.

APS said...

Ummmm, coupons scare me. Tracking - counting - planning - finding. It's like asking me to do a word problem or mentioning something like calculus (or subtraction for that matter). i have some friends who have convinced the teachers to order newspapers on the schools dime for each of the students in the class. Current events, I suppose. And then they get all of those coupons. Like 25 papers. Or, they dumpster dive. Srsly?

My MIL, bless her heart, loves to send me email. She sends me every forward she gets. Also, she never deletes any of the information that come from the 10 previous forwarders. I get goofy pictures, 'hold your breath, count to ten, make a wish and send it to your 10 best friends,' sappy tributes to this and that, weird advice - like 500 things you can do with a dryer sheet. How do I gently get out of these forwarded, um, inbox fillers? Am I doomed to accept them because telling her to stop might offend her? I really think it would. Because you know more than me, Memz, I had to ask.

Hating Forwarded Inbox Fillers

Memzy said...

Christa--go for it!

PearGirl--right?

APS--show yourself! I'd love to answer your question.

StandsMom said...

Sorry Memz. APS is me. I was logged in to the wrong account I guess when I commented. :)

Linkster said...

Being a bachelor, I won't save much by using coupons. If I need to save money, I'll just skip a meal or two.

StandsMom - send the MIL this link.

Memzy said...

Stands!--Your freaked me out there for a sec. And so help me, if I ever dumpster dive, please hold an intervention on my behalf. As far as the forwards go.....I have an uncle who does just such a thing. Forwards of pics of kittens, "clever" anecdotes, you name it. But in order to spare his feelings I just move my mouse right over the delete button. Never even look at them. She'll never know the diff. Trust me.

Flem said...

I have refrained thus far but let me just say that coupons seem to apply to food I don't buy and therefore would actually cost me money, right?

Just saying. Also it is Thursday.

Blog Archive

About Us