Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Churches, Chilly Water, and Chances

You may or may not be aware that Sedona, AZ is full of vortexes.  Frealz.  You can also get your aura photographed.  Too bad we didn't have time to do that.  I'm pretty sure my aura is a nice pale butter color.  However, we did have time to visit a church that was actually ON a vortex.  Or is it IN a vortex.  Or maybe ABOUT a vortex?  


Either way we were prepared to be vortex-ed.


Pondering possible aura-induced mystical......um.....feelings?


Those candles were only $1 to light.  In case your aura needed some, uh, incentive.


You guys buying this? 


Yeeeah, us neither.  


That's about as believable as me going more than 24 hours without a Diet Soda.  (more like 12 hrs but you don't have to be so JUDGY)


We were just there for the views yo!



Right up the canyon from Sedona and our hotel was a state park known as Slide Rock.  A natural water slide made up of just-melted-from-the-winter-snow water and scrape-your-fanny-style rocks.


So I was told anyway.  I didn't actually get IN the water!!  That'd be just as plausible as me not knowing every single word to Selena Gomez's latest song, "Who Says".

Wait for it to sink in.

Wait for it.

Yeah?

Anyway, gorgeous weather


Beautiful scenery



Especially gratifying when standing around, fully clothed, with camera in hand.  

Jespy was braver than me.  She put her toe in.


Braver still was Shed who got in up to his ankles I think.  Maybe even his shins.


Braveriest of all tho were those boys.  






I'd like to take a brief moment and interject here.  I'm perfectly happy embracing my lack of adventure when it comes to safety and comfort.  As I get older my priorities are changing.  I'm not ashamed.

Staying warm and dry and injury free?  ::making hand motion::   Up here.

Being considered an adventurous mom?  ::making much, much lower hand motion::  Down here.

Having dark chocolate in some form every day?  ::super high hand motion::  Up here.

Eating broccoli?  ::hand motion nearing the floor::  Way down here.

You get it.  

::double gun point and mouth click::



To each his own tho.  To each his own.  I'm pretty sure Anthony feels differently than I do.


It's just a guess.  He and I haven't really discussed it at length.  Or at all.

Brains, not to be outdone, took 5 solid minutes controlling a panic attack whilst standing at the edge, only to overcome the threat of tears.....and follow suit.


I was really proud of him.  I wouldn't call it a cliff jump but that might be how he's describing it to his friends on FB.


Sorta like this text converstation with Jespy in our respective hotel rooms that morning.

Jespy:  are you wearing your swimsuit today?

Me: Just my top

Jespy: ????
Me: you know, with my jeans on the bottom

Jespy: oh you mean your black bikini top with the matching scrunchy?

Me: yup!! that's the one!

Jespy: k we can be twinners then

Me: perf...make sure your muffin top hangs out tho

Jespy:  duh!


So, we've covered the church and the chilly water.  Now I will briefly touch on the "chances".  You may have noticed that Cracker was conspicuously missing from any "bravery" action shots here.  He noticed it as well.  He noticed it deeply, personally, and (according to him) shamefully.  No amount of logic from any of the adults present would convince him he was "the man" just as much as the other boys.  

Cut to 15 minutes later Cracker is on the ridge above us waving hello.

Cut to me yelling "Come down from there you can't go off by yourself!"

Cut to 10 more minutes going by and he's not back from his little hike yet. 

Cut to me "Shed can you go check on Cracker?"

Cut to 10 minutes later and none of us adults can find him and some random kid tells us he went "that way" and pointed to the MOUNTAIN.

Cut to me going "yeah right" in my head.

Cut to Shed walking up to me and pointing to the top of the mountain and seeing an itty bitty teeny tiny Cracker waving down from the top.  We can't hear him.  He's about as big as my thumb when I hold it up.

Cut to me having a panic attack and successfully pretending I was cool as a cucumber (Jespy, AV can you confirm?)

Cut to the end when we found him and he climbed down and he was not injured and he was alive and he got a second chance to live because I didn't KILL HIM.

Did I mention he was barefoot the whole time? 

No?

Well he was.  

The End.















6 comments:

Carol said...

The panic attack was for real people. She tried to look calm--did not achieve. The lady with the black bra and bare belly--classic white trash look. LOVED it. Great post.

Emily said...

Loved. This. Post! All of it!

Markie23 said...

Ahhh, memories... I have slid down slide rock MANY a time, including a winter slide with snow on the ground. Also jumped off that very rock ledge, only it was 10 times higher back in the 70's.

Cristin said...

It was like I was there! Loved this post! The black bra lady reminded me of the woman on our cruise that wore a bikini but you couldn't see the bottoms because...well... It's burned into my memory and now this one will join it. thanks.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I would have TOTALLY paid a dollar to light a candle! That's a steal of a deal for some good karma & stuff. Or is the aura? Either way, one dollar is worth it.

And plzthanks explain Charlie's socks. It seems like those should have been mentioned.

Krissy said...

That place is absolutely gorgeous. Lollerz at your and Jespy's texting. Glad you had a fun vacay.

Blog Archive

About Us