Tuesday, February 03, 2009

TUNE IN TUESDAY

There are people with "book smarts", people with "IQ smarts", people with "street smarts", and then there's people with all of them.  That's me you gize.  I've got alls the smawts there is.  So, having said that, I have good advice to give you.  Listen up.

Good Advice #1:  PMS is very real.  Don't let anyone tell you differently.  Accept it.  Embrace it.  Commit to it.  There is no use fighting it.  I've got the PMS-ers.  And not the downy-dumps kind (which is also very common) but the "rip your head off" kind.  So very carefully I stepped away from the kitchen last night where my 10 year old was baking his own cookies (ie. flour everywhere, used twice as many eggs as necessary, dishes piling up), my 4 year old was yelling at his bigger brother to "pyeeese help me get to the next yevel!", my 8 year old was laughing VERY out loud at his book "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"..............and walked quietly down the hall to my bedroom (and when I say quietly I mean that very, very loosely),........shut the door, locked it, curled up in a ball on my bed, grabbing my fave pillow and, pressing it firmly to my face.........screamed my head off until I was out of breath.  See?  I accepted that I was going to hurt one of my children if I stayed in that room.  I embraced my body physically stomping off to my bedroom.  And I committed to the scream that was creeping up through my throat.  ::big deep breath::  All better now.  

Good Advice #2:  Desserts  overrule any other blunder you might make.  They are the deposit in the bank of tummies that can cover any withdrawals.  They are the cheese to my macaroni.  Example:  I did not cook a single edible meal last week.  I was also behind 4 days in laundry duty (no socks or underwear for my boys you gize---janky).  My hubby also took all the kids out for lunch and a little field trip with Tony and his boys and Uncle Gus for hours so me and Jespy and Aunt Mary could eat real food and play a rousing game of Skip Bo.  How did I get away with such pleasures?  Answer: Spicy Molasses Cookies, Homemade Cinny Rolls, Hot fudge brownie sundaes (homemade hot fudge you gize--recipe to come soon), and a shot of root beer floats (IBC root bear fer duh).  

Now it's your turn peeps.  I've got your back.  Super loyal.  Go.

20 comments:

eekareek said...

You forgot to mention that PMS is also a GREAT excuse for when you say something you shouldn't have to your husband cuz he doesn't really pay attention to that sort of thing.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Each month when I feel the PMS coming along, I get out of bed, walk into the kitchen and say, "Good morning, kids. Just want to let you know, Mommy is going to be really grouchy for the next couple of days, so watch out!" It seems to work quite well. As far as the desserts go, I think I will take your advice and not cook real food this week. Cookies and ice cream sound fabulous, and, as an added bonus, I think the kids will forgive me for the PMS thing if I just feed them lots of sweets!! Thanks again for your advice. It always helps me through my week!! Have you thought about submitting your words of advice to a newspaper column so even more people could benefit? You should seriously consider it!

Pearl Girl said...

Yah, ditto that. I think you should just have a link right from msn homepage. You are just as realiable as my favorite sweats !!!
But seriously....what is your best solution to sick day blues... all the kids are home with a janky cough. It was so nice of my hubster to spend the whole weekend infecting us and then leave....what to do, what to do????

Hazel said...

Can you catch PMS? I didn't ever have it before, but now...I have it bad. Thanks for the advice about doing the screaming in the pillow. I was doing it to frightened faces.

I have some advice for you this week. buy three more pairs of socks and undies. No, kidding, I only do laundry once a week.

Flem said...

How could you so casually mention Diary of a Wimpy Kid? Have you not read this libro? I mean, one of your pieces of advice should have been "buy Diary of Wimpy Kid 1 and 2 to understand your children."

It is the funniest book out there and I was semi considering recommending it for Smart Remarks except I knew it might be considered beneath those who were not familiar with its charm.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Flem, nothing is "beneath" the SRBC. Did you see their first selection? C'mon.

Dear AskMemzy,

Can I use PMS as an excuse even if I never have periods? I still have to have SOME kind of monthly cycle going on cuz srsly.... grumpy. I may even be on a two week cycle.

PseudoPMSing in Denvah.

Markie23 said...

DearAskMemzy...
Can we change the subject?

Carol said...

Memz, Sorry you're feeling off your game. Lucky for you , you have a terrific hubby. Your dessert advice is written in stone in my brain. Thanks

E said...

Dear AskMemzy,
I don't get PMS, so I was wondering, can a person be in a perpetual state of PMS? Cuz I know a few people who might need to be tested for that condition, and they are in srs denial about it too, so I might need help staging an intervention.

And we heart Diary of a Wimpy Kid around here. We have all three books, plus the do-it-yourself diary, which is hilarious. There is no way those snobs at SRBC would read it though--they only read fine lit.

ManicMandee said...

Yeah, I used to just get the saddies when PMSing and now that I'm grown up, I get the murders. I get super aggressive and mean. It's horrible. So I totally agree.
So is there anything you can do about that? Not that I have that problem being pregnant for the time being.

Hazel said...

One more question...What is Sara doing up at five in the morning?

Memzy said...

Eek--Good point. Good point
Vanessa--I don't wanna make too many advice columnists out there jealous tho. Sooo humble.
Pearly--Me=fave sweats? ::swoon:: But about the jankies, my advice is this. Unlike Landee, I firmly believe in cold medicine. If for the only reason that it sedates your little ones into cuddling on the couch and watching Disney movies all day. And my bro is a doctor soo...
Katie--I DO only do laundry once a week. That was the prob. It hadn't beed done in (7 plus 4 carry the 1) ELEVEN days. Oye.
Flem--I like to slip things in sometimes. It's how I roll.
PsuedoPMSer--That's a tough one. You could get away with it on lots of levels. But I'm guessing not with Gty. Just tell him it's true cuz my bro is a doctor.
Markie--you come here on your own. I don't force you. That being said. No. You need to know this stuff too. You have a "lady friend" amongst you methinks.
Mom--Your welcome
Jespy--Fer rizzles it can happen. It's called the PPMS (perpetual pms). This is not a drill. Repeat. This is NOT a drill. Let me know when you show up for the intervention.
MM--What you can do (when it comes back to ovulation time for you) is walk back to your bedroom, shut the door.....

Memzy said...

Katie--Sara obviously couldn't sleep in anticipation of TIT today. Doyee.

Anna B said...

Yes PMS is real and alive in my house too and I made those molasses cookies and dang were they good in an addicting kinda way. So here's my question for realz...When are my parent's getting back???

homegirl said...

Could you share this molasses cookie recipe? I know I'm gonna need it, just ask the fam!

Pearl Girl said...

thanks A ton now I feel a whelming feeling that I need me some molasses cookies. But will you make em for me and run right over. I will give you directions. It like 4 degrees here today.

But in reading all the janky comments from all you pmsers I think I realize my 9 year old might be on the PPms list. Is that possible? I know you don't have any girls but You do know everything. What do I do. She is a little young for happy candy. :)

Pearl Girl said...

So I know you are sick of my comments, but here is one for a mother of boys. What do I do if my 11 year old Can't aim. The target is a huge white bowl. HOW HARD CAN IT BE?????? I REALLY WANT TO CRY. What is a word for something that is worse than JANKY.

Memzy said...

Annie--Mary said late Wednesday night.
Homegirl--No problemo. I'll email you the recipe.
Pearl Girl--Maybe that "Aunt Flo" is about to rear her ugly head. Ever thought? Oh boy. And as far as that aim thing is concerned. Refer to above list. Accept it. Embrace it. Commit to it. I know, it's hard. I'll get back to you on the janky thing.

Hot Pants said...

I just want to brag about the amount of control I showed today with my PMS. It was raging you gize. Then guitar lesson #1 showed up and I put on the phoniest happiness you ever did see. I kept it up through all 10 lessons. By the end I totally forgot I had it. I remember it now though.....bed time, Dwight's working late, yeah, it is no longer in check.

Emily said...

PMS is the very reason I haven't blogged the last few days. Janky<--
I'm liking that word you all'v been throwing around.

Super please post your hot fudge recipe. I almost called you on Sunday for the recipe, but tried a new (not so good) recipe instead.

Blog Archive

About Us