Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cooking with Clara: Episode 5 - Chocolate Florentine Sandwich cookies

I heard some of you are dieting/cutting back on calories. For those people I sincerely apologize for this post that will inevitably make you fall off the wagon..................while it's going really fast...............and then you'll face plant into the proverbial dirt that is/are these cookies.

There she is.

Just look at her.

All cute and happy and stuff.


Hers is ripping off her bow bow's. I repositioned it like 11teen times but she would always pull it back off. ::big huge huff/sigh for baby girls::

My sis said she was tired. Might be cranky. Needing a nap. Whatever.

So here I am focusing on those chubby little feet. And wrinkly skin.


And in the meantime I look up to see this.


Uh-oh. There's that blankie again. PLUS the thumb.



Double uh-oh. She's found the CARPET now. That nice soft carpet with the extra padding.

So, I'm just gonna jump up into the kitchen and bang around some pots and pans. Did I mention my sis wanted me to try to keep her awake for the "real" nap time?
That worked for a while. But soon she was doing some of this.

She's going.
Going.

Gone.

Dang. Well, I guess I can stare at these for a while.


You gize don't really want the recipe do you?

Cuz then you'd have to EAT them. I can hear you shouting at me now. "Don't do it!! Don't do it!! We aren't strong enough!"



In that case:


CHOCOLATE FLORENTINE SANDWICH COOKIES
2/3 C butter
2 C quick oats
1 C granulated sugar
2/3 C flour
1/4 C corn syrup (light or dark)
1/4 C milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 C chocolate of your choosing (obviously not white chocolate cuz we all know that isn't real)
Melt butter. Add oats, granulated sugar, flour, corn syrup, milk, vanilla and salt. Mix well. Drop by level teaspoon about 3 inches apart onto foil-lined baking sheets. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on baking sheets on wire racks. Peel foil from cookies.
Microwave chocolate at 70% power for 1 minute and stir. Microwave at additional 10-20 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Spread thin layer of melted chocolate onto flat side of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, placing flat side against chocolate.



Don't hate me because they're irresistible you gize.

14 comments:

Carol said...

I can't decide which is more irresistable--the cookies or the baby. Both look wonderful. She is such a snuggle bug with that blankie and thumb. The cookies area must try. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Flem said...

I love how you include a recipe AND cute pics. You should label tag your blog posts so we can find stuff later when we need it.

Hazel said...

I can't believe you never mentioned the thumb sucking. Her cuteness just went up two notches in my book, putting it over the top and causing a small explosion. And that picture of her on the carpet, and sucking her thumb? How could you? You know my womb is closed.

I just wanted to make sure that oatmeal=healthy, right?

E said...

You little! Why I outta! How could you! You want me to fail, don't you?

Becca said...

Well I guess it is about time I, Clara's mom, posted a response on all these mag layouts of my uber-adorable baby. I've avoided saying much so that I don't come off too "My baby is the cutest one in the whole world, blah, blah blah". Well, I guess the jig is up and it's obvious to all that she is. Thanks Em for these lovable posts. You and Clara will be BFFs forever. Hey, who said you weren't a scrapbooker. You've just been in denial all these years.

homegirl said...

Is this a family favorite? I've never heard of these before, I must try them!

StandsMom said...

I have to try the cookies. They look fantastic. Did you take all of those pictures? How come reading a blog led me to create a blog and now having created one and still reading them I feel like I need to totally jack up my photo taking skills too? Thanks a lot gize. I was trying to simplify and ended up replacing one obsession with another. :)

Carianne said...

I will have to agree with Becca. LOL There is a scrapbooker in us all. I LOVE all of Baby Clara's posts. They are probably my fave...I am so wanting another girl. Hey Becca can I borrow her??? Or I might just come hang out at your house Em for a while to get some snuggles in (with Clara that is not you, unless you need a hug) Also, my butt wants to thank you in advance for the yummy cookies that I WILL be making this week. Your the best!

Emily said...

I will definitely be holding you accountable for the massave head injury I incur as a result of falling off the wagon.

That Clara is UN. REAL.

Cristin said...

Why do you do this to me??? I don't want any more kids but those cheeks...those chubby fingers and toes...the thumsucking....I can't stand it any more! ACK!!!!

The Everyday Housewife said...

You are the best!! I have gained 10 lbs. because of your recipes, but . . . what the heck. Keep 'em coming!!! Clara is ADORABLE!!

Hot Pants said...

Dam you!!!! (I spelled it the uncursing way so I wouldn't offend anyone, cuz I'm considerate like that)

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I am not gonna curse at you cuz yes, there is the recipe... but it looks like way too much work. I'm definitely the break-apart-the-squares-and-put-them-2-inches-apart-type cookie maker. No one around here is complaining tho.

Now Clara is a different story.... gosh dangitall to heck she is cute!

Anonymous said...

Love this Em!

Blog Archive

About Us