Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cooking with Clara: Episode 8 - Candied Chex Mix (and how I will teach her of my ways)

Teach them young I tell you. Not sure if my sis would agree. But whatev, she's MINE for now!! ::evil laugh:: I think the pink iPhone case really suits her don't you think?
I would like to make a motion that chubby thighs should be considered "in" again.
"Attractive". "Loveable". "The norm". Any of those would do.
Whycome babies get away with it but I can't? Somebody write their congressman/tabloid. (they won't take my letters anymore)


She's not quite sure what to do with it. Hang in there Clara. It's instinctual. The iPhone beckons you with it's apps and it's music playing while you look at it. When you know........you know.

Aaaaaaaaaaand.........................wait for it................................




NAILED IT!



::round of applause inserted here::



This hooligan was feeling a little camera hungry.



Check him out right?


Hmmmmmm


Preschoolers, when shot in the "wild" are very delicate creatures indeed. When sneaking up on them from behind the sectional, go quietly. Do not let them hear you creep around the side, adjust your camera, and then...........BAM.


^^^^watching Max and Ruby. I'm pretty sure it was the Bunny Scouts bird watching debacle.


On to the food. Today we are making CANDIED CHEX MIX. This recipe has floated around many of my girlfriends so I don't' know who to give the credit to. So any girlfriend out there who made this up.......hollah!
The funny thing is that you actually do most of the cooking of this recipe in a brown grocery bag. I'm not kidding. You think I am. But I'd be kidding about that just as much as I'd be kidding about the fact that I don't' have crows feet yet.



CANDIED CHEX MIX


1 c butter
2 c brown sugar
1/2 c corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 box chex mix (any kind 12-15 oz)
1 can mixed nuts (i only do almonds, that i roast, mmmmmmm)
peanut butter M&M's

Place cereal and nuts in a brown grocery bag. In saucepan mix butter, br. sugar, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 1/2 min. Remove from heat and add baking soda. Then pour sugar/butter mixture into brown bag with nuts and cereal.




I know it goes against everything you believe in. Won't the caramel mixture burn the bag? Will my whole kitchen go up in flames? Won't it soak through and cause me a massive panic attack?


No, no and no. Just pour it in. Trust me.

You can see how it gets the bag all gross and wet here. That's normal.

K, now. put it in the microwave.
You heard me right. The whole bag.

Now microwave on high for 5 minutes, taking out the bag and shaking it up real good in between each minute. Let sit for 5 minutes in the bag. Open it up and spread out on cookie sheet to cool. Get in there and get dirty you gize. Scrape that stuff out of the bag. Don't worry. You won't get any "bag pieces" in your mix. That about as likely to happen as my getting rid of my cellulite. You can see where I'm going with this.

Then add your candies (I prefer PB M&M's but the store was all out so I had to go with plain)


Photobucket

Just DON'T leave it out on the kitchen island all day, forcing you to grab bites every time you walk by,..........which is often,..........which is why I'll never get rid of my........

never mind.

15 comments:

Carol said...

Clara has joined the iPhone team for sure. she knows exactly what to do with it. And. . .she loves Auntie Em. Thanks for the ChexMex recipe. I forgot that I love that stuff and needed the recipe. Charlie and Liesl=BFF's forever.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Ooooooh, you've gone totally old skool on our hineys with a chex mix reseepay! Nice.

And I love Clara's "crumb moustache" in the first pic. Goes well with the thighs me thinks.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

::forgot to check the email follow up comments to me box::

Sorry.

Anna Celeste said...

That looks yummy.
Clara and the treats that is.

How's Clara gonna feel about being dethroned with baby #4 on the way?

Anna Celeste said...

OOps, thats Manic Mandee ^^^

Morgan's Visual Idea journal said...

yuuuummmmm.

Mary said...

Ooooh, this hurts cause I'm trying hard to loose some pounds and not only does that mix look yummy, but that Trader Joe's bag brings back some wonderful memories of fantastic goodies!

E said...

Scumdiddleeumshush! Those glistening Chex are calling my name. I love Chex. I love thighs too.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Thanks for another FABULOUSLY delicious recipe! I just wish I could get a cool brown grocery bag around here! Love the pictures.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Old Skool question here....

...do you just pour the "candies" on top of the mix after it's on the cookie sheet? Or do you mix them in whilst still in the Trader Joe's paper sack?

Emily said...

Liesl looks like she hasn't seen a cartoon in forever. I swear, I see drool on her chin.

Super thanks for the recipe!! I am going to make it tomorrow! Keep 'em coming!

MaryLou said...

I made the Candied Chex Mix tonight to take out of town for the three-day weekend. What great timing!!! It is so-o-o-o-o-o good and so-o-o-o-o-o easy. My only trouble is that the M & M's are loose and just kind of fall to the bottom of the tubby that I put the stuff in. Does that sound right?

Anna B said...

I have totally had that chex stuff at your house and yes it is "scrumdileeumpshis". That baby too cute for words.

Krissy said...

Ahhh, cooking with Clara...I love these! So much deliciousness in one post.

JennE said...

thanks for the yummy receipe, I plan to make this soon!

Blog Archive

About Us