Sunday, September 28, 2008

Smart Remarks Book Club Review: THE HOST by Stephenie Meyer




Readers out there may be interested to know that some of my friends, cousins, and family have started an online book club review. This time the pick was The Host by S.M.  Today is our dedicated book club day to review the book.  Sooo,  I have a few things to say about it. Ready?

Inserted
Remembered
Overheard
Resisted
Dreamed
Uncomforted
Followed
Confronted
Loved
Discovered
Turned
Dehydrated
Failed
Sentenced
Disputed
Guarded
Assigned
Visited
Bored
......

K, that's as far as I got because the book was just that...a little boring to me. Can S.M. not create a girl character that is different? Why must all her leading ladies be like this:

"I can't understand why he likes ME. He couldn't possibly care about little old ME. I'm not even that attractive, yet every man that comes near me falls hopelessly in love with me (if not romantically, than otherwise)."

And why must every girl play the martyr? Bella doesn't want people to protect her cuz she gets hurt all the time and is such a clutz. No really, Edward, you should just leave me here, I don't deserve you.  Wanda/Melanie pretends like she is never hungry or nearly dying of dehydration, etc. "I'm totally not hungry. I promise."

Instead I think S.M. should write a book with a character like ALL of us. One who is obviously the hottie that everyone loves ::serious snicker:: and who will whine and whimper about not getting REAL bread and butter along with some Diet soda thank you very much, never mind about the surviving part.

ps. Doc is my kind of guy.  Ian and Jared can go punch it out somewhere else while Doc and I sit quietly talking or chewing on our beef jerky.

14 comments:

Hot Pants said...

You forgot:
Flanked
Hissed
Chagrinned

I am glad Stpeh wrote this to help us get over our obsession with her. But maybe she could write a new book about a strong minded, stubborn, yet shy, cute girl who falls for a rich, smart, strong guy, who happens to have been bitten by some sort of radioactive isnect. It makes him strong, and he can protect her, because she smells good.

ManicMandee said...

I completely agree! So how much did you read really? If you didn't get far, you sure pegged the book right on.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I'm more than over Steph. I'm almost pissed at her.

Stick with what you know & by the way, no one lives in the desert for a reason.

::slathering on some Cool::

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Blogger Memzy said...

I kept wondering how she was going to figure out the wrap up at the end! And then she did it! Loved the book

May 31, 2008 3:21 PM

You lied then or now, which is it?

Memzy said...

^^A girl has a right to change her mind. ::making "step-off" face::

And I actually finished the book a long time ago when it first came out. But I have to admit, I didn't necessarily re-read it. Just some skimming.

JennE said...

Hey you! I am not sure you are reading my replys to you on my blog so I thought I would make a comment on yours... As for Ayden's art work that was a summers collection worth, somthings he makes with me and some at his daycare, and some from church! fun stuff, if you are looking for a great book try "THE GRAND WEAVER by Ravi Zacharias..

Cristin said...

I think you should give Steph some character advice, because You know that I'll be standing in line at midnight for her next book.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

The "step-off" face skurrs me.

E said...

Grimace. I'm totally keening. And yeah about Wanda being a martyr, as if death was her only option. What a baby. Plus, she was all super self righteous. Did I mention that? She should have made-out with Uncle Jeb. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Flem said...

I liked the main character and I am not over steph- are you people saying you won't buy her next book? I am skeptical...

Hot Pants said...

Duh, I'm buying her next book! I rip, but I like. I think I just like to rip though. I'm self-righteous, not too much unlike Wanda.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Steph's getting stale.

::pre-ordering Steph's next book yet unwritten::

E said...

::Refreshing S. Meyer's "upcoming projects" on her website every 30 secs.::

Christa said...

I read this when it first came out! It does get better, just doesn't come close to her other books!

Blog Archive

About Us