Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Holy Molasses Batman!!........and baby girls

Yesterday I got to babysit my two nieces for a few hours. This, in and of itself, is no major accomplishment. What you must understand very clearly tho, is my littlest baby niece, Clara, doesn't like people. Well, unless you count her family and Aunt Visor. For months she hasn't even let me look at her let alone hold her. So, out come the toys and Memzy on the carpet with big sis Liesl to distract her while her mommy slips out the door. And guess what? NO. CRYING. I may have given her a happy pill to help tho. Just kidding! HA! I was very worried for baby Clara's happiness during her mom's away-time. But it turns out she was happy as a clam. Auntie-Memz RAWKS!! ::doing dance of joy:: And thank goodness cuz how could you very well look at these blue eyes and not want to pick that baby up, right? I dare you to try.
So, whilst baby Clara was on the floor playing and I was texting and emailing pics to Aunt Visor to gloat about my success, I even got to make cookies. Not just ANY cookies mind you. These ones will blow your mind. I should probably add here that I am by no means a fan of cookies other than the chocolate infused variety. Snicker doodles? ::shrug:: Sugar cookies? ::pshaw:: Yup, I'm a lover of all things chocolate when it comes to desserts. So, when I saw this recipe on one of my favorite sites I was skeptical. But she described it with such mouthwatering exactness that I had to try it out myself. I give you:
Spicy Molasses Cookies

Those are mine too.^^^
I'm salivating just seeing the picture. Cuz we already ate them all. Wha?
They are the perfect mix of flavors and the outside is all sugary crunchy while the inside is chewy and soft. I have to stop now. I don't wanna be up late tonight making another batch just to fulfill this craving. And btw, while I was making the cookies this is what was happening on my kitchen floor.

Oh dear, it's the blue eyes again. ::washing hands of cookie dough to pick up baby to squeeze::
I told you, it's impossible.

So, I was so puffed up about my success with the baby and the cookies I even got out a special platter to display them on. You know, so they look important and my children will hesitate to grab one without asking. Aaaaaand so I could take a picture and post about them. Doyee.


Sometimes it is so easy to make me happy.


**EDIT**
Spicy Molasses Cookies
1 C sugar
1/4 C Crisco (trust me, no butter this time)
1/4 C Molasses
1 egg
2 C flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
(note: I didn't have a couple of these spices and instead substituted "Allspice" or "pumpkin pie" spice. It totally works. Pioneer Woman even says so)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugar, shortening, molasses, and egg together until well combined. Dump in dry ingredients and mix until dough is combined. It kinda looks like wet sand at this point but trust me, it balls up very nicely. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls, then generously coat each ball with sugar. Place on baking sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, allowing to bake for about a minute after cookies begin to crack. Remove and allow to cool. But who can really wait that long, right? And if you eat them all yourself make sure to hide all the evidence. Not that I would know.

17 comments:

ManicMandee said...

Wow. Your babysitting skills, cooking skills and photography skills all on perfect show here. You are amazing.

Hot Pants said...

I really could use a molasses cookie right now.

E said...

Those cookies look so stinking good. Too bad I can't get up off my couch to save my life. Bring them to me, K?

Hazel said...

Those are my favorite! Sara made them for one of those family things and I have been thinking about them ever since.

Every single one of my kids was like that. I had Jenny watch Hazel when she was a baby, and when i asked her how it went she was all, "She was just fine. She only cried for about the first three hours of you three and 1/2 hours of you being gone." (She was crying when I picked her up.) I am pretty sure it is because I am such a great mom, there is no substitute. It is like being given a raisin cookie when all you want is molasses.

Flem said...

Why am I the first to ask for the recipe? Did I miss it? And those pictures are amAzing!! You should publish them in a cook book or something.

Also mucho cuteness on the baby pics.

homegirl said...

That baby girl has beautiful eyes!
Sooo cute!

Cristin said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE PW!!!! LOVE HER!!! Seriously, it's so wrong how much I HAVE to go to her site multiple times a day...sooo wrong. I'm gonna have to try the cookies, I love molasses everything...I don't know why but I do.

Krissy said...

Adorable baby, delicious cookies, fabulous photography...it doesn't get any better than this!

P.S. I'm with Flem, that recipe is a must have!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Straight outta a cookbook YO! I'm talking about those straight-up awesome pics, of course.

Sooooo, this is what life is like when you have a housekeeper, huh? You have all day to make cookies and play with cute babies? Duly noted.

Carol said...

I'm busting with pride at Auntie Em for her good baby skills with Clara--who is a very picky people person. It just goes to show--good things come to those who wait, or something like that. Becca was thrilled also. And how 'bout those cookies? Those are Dads favorite!! I must make them. Cough up the recipe.

Unknown said...

I don't know which one I want more...The baby or the cookie...hmmm some thought will have to go into that.

eekareek said...

My hands kept hitting the computer screen every time I saw that baby. I just wanted to pick her up so badly.

Emily said...

When I first read your title, I was like, 'Is she doing a post about a certain daughter of mine I can't get to do anything cuz she's sooo slow?' We actually call her Molasses. I'm skeptical about those cookies. You might have to prove to me they are good by making me some and sending them to me. Seriously.

And, that baby girl is freakishly adorable!!

Organized Chaos said...

Yummy! Will have to try. Those are some gorgeous eyes on that kid!

Hazel said...

I want those cookies, but I don't want to buy crisco...You're sure butter won't work? You're all willy-nilly with the spices, but crisco is a must. huh. I am just not really into grocery shopping right now.

Hazel said...

Also, you don't know about the new post format because you haven't posted anything new today. Give it a try, it will blow your mind.

Anna B said...

Carda what??? Have I evr told you how much I love your recipies? And Molasses cookies are one of my fav. After this sugar free week from H*** I am totally going to make me a batch of those.

Blog Archive

About Us