Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cooking with Clara: Episode 7 - Fresh Strawberry Jam



"Hi....My name is Clara..........and my mommy finally drove all the way out to my Auntie Memz house so us girlies could hang out. Can you believe it's been this long? Neither can I."

(Bonus pic of rocking chair that Clara is sitting in that my mom and dad bought as their first piece of furniture ever, which I asked for when they died and which they decided to give to me NOW as a house warming gift----neener neener to my siblings)


Part I: Locked out of the Playroom


Char Char and Liesl were playing Legos. Legos and babies with small airways don't mix. Clara wasn't too pleased.
She considered using her weight to muscle her way through.


"Are you serious with this Auntie Memz?"




Part II: Snack Diversion




Lack of a high chair makes snack time also floor time. Don't worry, I just mopped.


But those fine motor skillz aren't quite perfected yet. Those darn Apple Jacks. (Or "Apple Charlie's" as Char Char likes to say)

Notice the bonus shot of the thigh ^^^


Auntie Memzy to the rescue.


"Mmmmmm. That's it"

See, I forgot all about the playroom debacle.



Part III: The Jam making.
You are gonna need some of these (whatever size you like to store your jam in):


Some deelish strawberries:


A whole lotta this:

Some of this (make sure it's the liquid kind):



And a dab of that:

Begin by doing a little choppy choppy

A little zip zip in the food processor to your desired chunkiness


Measure out 2 C of strawberries into a bowl.


Add 4 C sugar (that twice as much for you math challenged)

Stir it up until just combined and wait a few minutes for the sugar to dissolve.


Meanwhile add one package of pectin and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and stir in small bowl.


Once sugar had dissolved into strawberries, add your pectin/lemon mixture and stir for 3 solid minutes.


Pour into containers of your choice and let sit.............where you laid them..............on the counter...................for 24 hours.


After that you put them in the freezer for up to a year. OR Keep them in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. I personally ate this for dinner with toast. I'm thinking also ice cream topping, pancakes topping, etc., etc.


My good friend LL showed me exactly how to do this but you can also find the recipe on the instructions that come with your pectin. How easy right?

11 comments:

Carol said...

Where do I start with so much to say? The jam looks/IS delicious. For dinner Dad and I cooked fresh rolls (Sam's Club)with your jam. Do NOT ask how many we ate. . . ..it's all we had for dinner. It was delish.

Dad said the funniest thing. "Who'd have thought that Memz introducing us to the rolls from Sams' Club, then her giving us a year membership for my birthday, would lead to us purchasing laminate wood flooring for OUR WHOLE HOUSE at, you guessed it, SAM'S CLUB".


The pictures of Princess Clara are darling, as usual. She loves going to your house. There's somuch room to roam and things to investigate. You're a very good Auntie Em.

ShelBailey said...

Fresh strawberry jam is 'specially deelish on banananana pancakes. Yum!

That Clara is to die for cute!

Uncle Janos said...

I would much rather eat that cute baby. No freezer needed, I'll do it in one sitting!

Flem said...

Wow beautiful post Em!! Really! Your photography is incredible and I have to say I think my favorite picture of all the wonderful shots you have taken is the one of her reaching her hand to get the fruity loop. Wow that is really so sweet.

Nicely executed.

Good thing it was so pretty because I was able to get past you asking for an item for when your padres died. What? Do people do that?

Cristin said...

First: YAY!!!!!!!! Clara is back!...along with her cute chubby thighs!!!!

Second: Why didn't anyone tell me that it would be that easy??? I'm sooooo going to try it this year!

Third: GRATS on the rocking chair!!!

What a great post!

eekareek said...

yummmmmmmo. I need more pictures of your house.

eekareek said...

oh nevermind. I just scrolled down and found the pictures. Niiiiiccccceeee.

kristi said...

My personal fav use for strawberry freezer jam is on waffles, NOT pancakes. (Waffles are way yummier because they are slightly crunchy, yes?) Isaac had way too much fun at the gym yesterday. And (I know its not Tuesday, but) what do you do when your 7 year old is begging to go see a certain play? Suggestions, please!

Becca said...

I think Clara (&Liesl) were just as pleased as you to have another Aunt Memzie day. She took an awesome nap when we got home...must have gotten tired out from doing the laps around your big house.

As far as the rocking chair goes, I was really offended but then I remembered that you are older than me. So can I have it when you die?

E said...

Luscious pictures, as always. And this recipe is perf, since I happen to have 100s of pounds of strawberry on hand.<--No. Lie.

Katie said...

Usually when kids hit the rip old age of one, it is all down hill from there, but she is defying all the rules. And the dress/headband combo...torture on my shriveled uterus.

The second you wrote twice as much sugar as strawberries, I don't think I can. That makes your chocolate cake look healthy.

Blog Archive

About Us