Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The nice weather can change things

Like one of my favorite book characters once said, "I much prefer whining to counting my blessings". So with that in mind, lets take a look at my house today.

11 year old boy and his newest bestie receive extra wood from a nearby building site. It was decided to build a dog house for Rue.

Generally, I begin to break out in hives and my armpits squirt violently when I imagine/see a project such as this.
Maybe it's the after shocks of a messy yard that resembles a ghetto. It could be the muddy clothes that need to be soaked in stain remover as soon as they are removed. Possibly it's the stinky "man" smell that accompanies these mini-men after said project is over.
Or it could be the use of a power saw without a dad around to monitor. Yup, I'm pretty sure it's the power saw that really gets my armpits going. My OCD really kicks in during these types of situations. Tho you'd never know. I keep my secret neuroses under wraps. (I've convinced myself this is true. Future possible therapy sessions my children might need could say something different but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, mmmkay?)
Pan over to the left and lookie what we have going on over here. SOMEone clearly forgot the rule to never play outside without shoes on.
Or the rule to never scowl at your mama.
Or the one about never wielding any sharp objects under the ruse of "sand toys". While playing with the neighbor kid. With no shoes on. In the dirt where there are rogue nails from a big brother's building project.
But I'm trying to give a little on the rules these days. You know,...in the spirit of "boys will be boys" and "just let the kids play outside" and stuff. If I end up blogging from the ER anytime soon those rules will be firmly back in place in the form of vinyl lettering in my kitchen.

Happy Good Weather Day everyone!!

11 comments:

eekareek said...

My boy is a little girlie and I hope it stays that way because power tools make me nervous. How is the project going? Is the dog house done yet?

Carol said...

Love, love, love it. Payback baby, payback. If you take a look at our long forgotten sideyard you will see remnants of old forts, etc. And, when was Charlie's last tetnus shot? Hmmm? It's the huge gloves that cracked me up. . . and the face. You were obviously bugging him.

Carol said...

P.S. I have extra power tools if Riley needs them. Just sayin'.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

What?? NO bare feet outside? What is the matter with you? That's the best feeling in the world!

Can't wait to see the finished dog house. Are they gonna paint it too?

PS You toooootally keep the OCD under wraps!! ::mouthing to everyone else so Memzy can't see..."no she doesn't"::

Emily said...

Finished product??

E said...

Power tools?? Your OCD is totally healing!! That's srsly the cutest thing ever tho. I want to dog just so my boys can build a dog house from scratch like Huck Finn. Sara and I built a dog house with our dad once. AND we painted it. You remember that Sara? Good times.

ManicMandee said...

Was that Caleb in the photos too? And who was the kid with all that bushy black hair?
Did it get finished?
So many questions.
And I think it's great you're letting your boys be boys. They'll find danger whether you let them or not.

Katie said...

Did you know they make Botox injections that paralyze your sweat glands and keep you totally dry? I’m keeping that trick up my sleeve for when my little guy reaches power tool age.

And by "up my sleeve," I mean "in my armpits."

Krissy said...

Clearly this is why they make clinical strength deoderant, it is much needed in times like these! Cant wait to see the finished product. Rue is a lucky dog!

Flem said...

My kids sometimes get in the car and we are halfway to Utah before we realize they don't have shoes on. Once we made a pit stop somewhere in the desert and I had to carry a kid to the bathroom because the pavement at the gas station was over 100 degrees and she kept complaining so I had to buy her some new shoes when we arrived.

Is that why you have that rule?

Good call.

Melissa said...

You're such a great mom. That bestie would love to come back to YOUR house to continue the use of the power tools.

Blog Archive

About Us