Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Facts and Figures

Fact: Brains, the oldest, is the worst teeth brusher EVER. Most of the time forgets and when reminded does a quick swipe-and-spit style. Never. Had. A. Cavity.

Fact: Cracker, the middle, is the BEST brusher of teeth on the planet. Flosses every day even. Spends 10 solid minutes cleaning them while I'm waiting to tuck them in so I can climb into my bed and dissect American Idol. Cavities. Every. Checkup.

This creates lots of "that's not fair" discush.

Fact: Brains has perfectly straight teeth. Even through donations to the tooth fairy and new growth, his teeth are basically lacking any crookedness.

Fact: Cracker's teeth have come in every which way, making it almost impossible for him to close his lips completely or chew with his mouth closed.

This creates lots of "That's not fair" discush.

Fact: Brains gets to do everything first, being the older brother that he is. Cub scouts, Camp KEEP, band, you get the picture.

This creates lots of "That's not fair" discush.

Fact: Brains has been saving up for 4 or 5 months to buy himself an iPod touch.

.....more on that later.

So, though only 9 measly years old, Cracker needed to start on braces pronto-like. Say it with me.....This creates lots of "That's not fair" discush.

Good news is he will be done, with perfectly straight teeth, by the time he enters Young Men's. Bad news is he will be in braces for three years, starting with this contraption we like to call "Robot Teeth" (you have to use a robot voice when you say that FYI). Beauty aint it?


Here's the kicker you gize. When we got to our first appointment to cement in said device, the receptionist handed me Cracker's "bonus" for signing up with this orthodontist while they bleed us of thousands of doll-hairs over the next few years:


After making an appropriate Oh-Snap-Face I grabbed it and ran. Just in case they changed their mind.

Let's give you another shot so you can be convinced your eyes are not deceiving you.
I don't think Cracker could have gotten a more appropriate "this makes things all better" gift than that.
When we returned home from this little outing there was much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth (perfectly straight with no cavities teeth). Which led to the same discussion only with a different kid.

"That's not fair" can feel sooooooo appropriate sometimes no?

Congrats to Cracker for getting an iPod touch, with no planning or money from me, that so conveniently makes being the middle brother a leeetle bit more bearable.

16 comments:

eekareek said...

Holy smokes! I want braces now too! Good for Cracker.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Wow -- all Cali got when she got her braces was . . . braces!! Very cool for Cracker. Sometimes it pays to be in the middle!

Godlonton Family Adventures said...

I wish I would've got something that cool when I had braces! Lucky kid! That does make it a little better...And at least he'll have them off early, I had them from 16 -18...prime dating years...I think my parents planned it!

Cristin said...

WOW nice job Cracker! AWESOME mom for taking care of the middle child. It's hard work and it's nice that it can be appreciated sometimes. :)

p.s. don't tell Sara because she will be going in for her 1st ortho appointment within the next year. I don't want her getting any ideas.

ManicMandee said...

I was feeling so bad for Mr. Cracker until I saw the Ipod. I'm the one saying that's not fair now. But for him, that must be the sweetest of justice!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Why do I feel bad for Brains here? This doesn't seem fair...

Janna said...

So there is some justice after all! I want to know what ortho you're using. My oldest child was not blessed with beautiful straight teeth like your oldest child.

Emily said...

You can thank Shed for the crooked teeth genes. I'm going to miss Jack's crooked teeth when they are straight. I LOVE that boy!

He totally deserves that iPod touch for what heck that spacer must be. Sarah is getting that contraption thingie too also. No iPod touch for her though.

E said...

Whaaa......t!?? No way! I got nothing for my four years of braces and it was excruciating. I better get an iTouch when Cord get's his braces, or Imma be mad! I mean Cord better get one.

Hot Pants said...

My orthor gave me this real cute little teeny tiny box to put my strips of wax in. He told me to put wax on the brackets that bothered my cheek. So, pretty close to the same thing as Cracker...
But, lucky for me, I get to have braces put on again, so I'll be shopping around for the one who gives the best prize this time.

Krissy said...

No way!!! Totally worth it. Poor brains, too bad he got the straight teeth genes.

Carol said...

I'm so happy for Cracker and somehow the mouth hardware makes him even cuter. Is that possible? The joy on his face is worth a million. Love him.

Katie said...

I love a story with a twist at the end! I just hope that jaw expansion device doesn't interfere with the reception on his radio app.

kristi said...

I hope all the boys realize that life isn't fair, and that even I believe in karma after hearing this story. Major score for Cracker!

Melissa said...

I love reading your blog. You make me laugh. I don't know how many times Matthew has asked when he is going to get his braces. And just wants to make sure we go to the same place Jack did.

Joel said...

What a treat! The iPod touch would definitely make things a lot bearable for Cracker. My brother had the same case a few years back when the dentist suggested that he try invisalign. Chicago and other parts of the country have practitioners that would recommend either braces or invisalign for individuals who have a problem with teeth alignment. Fortunately, after 2 years, his teeth problem was resolved. Right now, he still sees the same dentist for some teeth whitening (Chicago) procedure.

I really hope that the same positive results would happen to cracker. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Archive

About Us