Friday, March 05, 2010

Maybe he was switched in the hospital?

When I was growing up my mom had each of us kids take piano lessons. I don't remember much about my teachers or the specifics of my recitals. Except, of course, the pale blue, flowered chiffon dress I wore to my recital when I was 8. My memory only holds on to the things that are relevant. Like chiffon dresses or feathered bangs that took up the front portion of my head/hairline. It was a noble effort by my mother to cover up my giant elephant ears. Don't feel bad for me, you gize. I've learned to embrace my large and airplane wing-like ears. It's what I remember, that's all. Again, only what is important, right?

The point is this: I never really caught on to playing the piano. Even tho my mom tried different piano teachers or tactics to get me to practice,...it just didn't come naturally to me. (That and sewing. Bless my mom's heart.) The extent of my skillz consists of both parts of chopsticks. Both. Looking at the silver lining here.

Shed is the same way. He remembers a couple of stanzas of Chariots of Fire that he's pulled out a time or two.

No more than 17 times.


Now, I have this child. Who, without trying, can learn guitar chords in minutes.....make up his own songs......and learn to play piano by ear.

Brains: "Mom, if you're going to blog this video can you tell everyone that I learned it by ear and that's why it isn't exactly the same?"

Me: Sure, Brains. Will do.

Here is John Schmidt's song "All of Me"



Which leads me to wonder if, during that 30 minutes they took my baby out of the hospital room to get tests done, they brought back this kid instead. I'm not complaining. Just sayin!!!

18 comments:

Cristin said...

AWESOME!!!! My MIL can play by ear, her kids can't so I'm crossing my fingers that it was just skipping a generation. EEK That rocked!!!

Carol said...

Melts my heart!!! He is a gifted boy, in so many ways. So, what you're saying is somehow your piano lessons benefited the next generation? Let's go with that.

Mansius Family said...

It would have been impressive even if it was not by ear. That is amazing!!!

Carol said...

And I'm not offended that you can't/don't want to sew any more than I'm embarrassed at MY sewing skills compared to my Mom's. She (and my sisters) are perfectionist-super professional seamstresses and I clearly am not----and proud of it. I say, "To each his own".

The Everyday Housewife said...

Truly Amazing! I can't even pick out "Mary Had a Little Lamb" by ear. I'm impressed!

Krissy said...

AMAZING!!! Now I know why you call him brains.

Speaking of switched at birth, did you see "the office" last night?

E said...

^^I did. Hilarious!

That kid's got something special. He's going places. And I'll be proud to say I knew him when he was just a little person.

Hot Pants said...

Just before they realized they had the wrong baby I said, "It would be funny if she was nursing the wrong baby". E.S.P. Same as writing it in the margins.
Brains plays better than me. But in my defense, I only had 14 years of lessons.

ManicMandee said...

I wouldn't have believed it if you hadn't have posted video. That is so amazing!!!!

Emily said...

Are you kidding me?! That was AH-MAZING!! SO impressed. That is just pure, raw talent. Get that boy an agent!

Flem said...

You need to find a performing arts strand in a high school for him.

Maybe the gene is recessive.

Merrimom said...

That is great! Thanks for brightening my day. He's awesome!

Katie said...

What??? By EAR??? Have you sent this to Oprah?

Anna B said...

Most defintly switched at birth!

thelma said...

i am sooo amazed!!! o and about ur ears i dont think they r big

Melissa said...

Lauren heard this from the other room and ran in to see what it was and wanted to hear it again and again. She said, "He is GOOOD!" I on the other hand am just jealous. I want a piano player in my home too.

Princess Kimi said...

Oh. My. goodness. srsly wiping tears. What the? Switched.

Princess Kimi said...

I played this for my parents. In case they bring it up. Cuz Brains is da man. Even if he's not blood related to us/you.

Blog Archive

About Us