Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tournament Day

Being blessed with 3 boys doesn't always pan out how some of you might think it would. Being into athletics and competition myself, I only assumed that my boys would be the same way, right? I couldn't have been wronger, gize.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't mind if he doesn't want to play sports. It just didnt occur to me right away. It may have taken me a few years of soccer seasons filled with tears and tantrums....or repeated refunds for some sporting event sign up..........but I finally figured it out. My little Cracker does not like sports.

The. End.

So, when this 3rd grader showed interest in a particular "extracurricular" activity, I was thrilled to help him pursue it. It involves this:

And some of these:

And a whole lot of these:

My little Cracker is a chess tournament dood! Unfortunately for us, we only heard about the chess club a couple of months ago. It's not offered at our school but I drive him to another school in the district who kindly let us join up. Since it was so late in the year, we only got to do this one last tournament. But boy was he excited! Finally a day where the rest of us sit around waiting to watch HIM do something. Instead of the other way around.

This is his first match. Check out the way his opponent girl is looking at him. It's that "You're going down/I'm totally crushing on you" look.
Photobucket
He ended up doing REALLY well. This is according to his coach. He had a "draw" on his first two matches, won his next two matches, and lost his last. That last one was a nail biter you gize. At least that's what I guessed.

Tons of parents and kids were riveted through the glass. I pretended to be nervous too. But the truth of the matter is that I can barely set up a chess board, let alone know which move is good or not. Or how close they/he were to a check mate. I just looked on attentively and knew it was all over when they shook hands. I guessed right 80% of the time tho based on Cracker's face when the game was over.

Despite that I encouraged Cracker and told him he did great, even tho he didn't get the trophy that he wanted.

I'm pretty sure he's onto me not knowing squat. I coulda been speaking Chinese and it would have meant the same thing to him.

Chinese is another thing I know squat about btw.

But guess what? His coach was blown away by how well he did against kids who'd been playing all year, if not longer. He got 12th place out of 30. I guess that kid that beat him in the end got 4th place (and that coveted trophy). But Cracker ended up with a metal and tried not to show his excitement over that.

Look at this:

So, guess who's a "Chess Tournament Mom" now?

Woot. Woot!

12 comments:

ManicMandee said...

You weren't around at those old Bailey reunions where Chess was a big part of the activities held. We rocked it. So that's where the boy got it.
I think Chess is cool btw.

kristi said...

Ni hao! (Mandarin is something I do know a little about, albeit very little.) It looks like a very interesting event - glad to hear that he did so well. Just imagine what next year will bring!

Anna B said...

We had our rounds with "Chess Club" and "Chess Tournaments". Way to go Cracker. I'm proud of you!

eekareek said...

I love it! He needs one of Screech's lucky red barrettes for his next tournament.

Emily said...

My heart is going to explode! That is awesome! Sports are overrated anyways. He will get much further in life with his Chess playing skills than any athleticism will ever get him!

Hot Pants said...

While he was playing chess did you have your iPod playing the music from the Karate Kid tournament? That always motivates me to do better.

Katie said...

Your boys! Brains plays classical music by ear. Cracker is a competitive chess player. No pressure Charlie. But if you’re not performing heart surgery on the playground, the rest of us are going to be super disappointed.

Princess Kimi said...

Oh my gosh this is going to remind Landee she doesn't know how to play. Which is AWESOME! Okay I need to step up my game so I know what those E7 Orange11 moves mean. ::: hits clock ::: Maybe you could watch the Bobbie Fisher movie? GO CRACKER!!!! Btw is his nickname PC?

Hot Pants said...

KP, I just read your profile and I wanna know how much you get paid for your job. And are they hiring?

Krissy said...

Looks like brains isn't the only one who got the smarts! Way to go cracker...i love a kid with gaming skillz!

E said...

I have the same breed boy as you, so I completely understand. Oh how they love chess club!

Carol said...

I am so proud of Jack and his Smarite McSmartie brains. The hat and glasses keeeeelll me, he's so handsome. Way to go Jack!!!

Blog Archive

About Us