Sunday, April 18, 2010

MMkay I guess it's time.

I don't' know why I keep putting this off. Every time I tell myself I'm gonna do this blog post I try to and then............nah. I think it might be my PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) that I'm having. I'm basically a war veteran and stuff.

K, so the deal is that I've had back issues for 15+ years. It's partly how my spine is built, partly my activities and a whole lot of bad luck. Especially since I started birthing babies, my back would "go out" about once a year. I'd be in bed for a week and unable to function. Over the years I've done it all....physical therapy, chiropractic, stretches, medications, traction, steroids, this list is long. It's just something I deal with. No biggie. There are worse problems to have right?

Up until 9 months ago, that is, when I started having a pinched nerve out of nowhere. It slowly came on and grew more pinched. Again, I did all of the above things, but it only got worse. About 3 months ago I started getting much more proactive about getting it fixed since it was hurting ALL. THE. TIME. I knew it was related to my back. And in the process of more tests I found that I had two herniated discs in my low back. One was sorta bad and one was reeeally bad. So those are what were expanded to pinch off the nerve that goes down my leg, like so:
My options were slim, says Mr. Neurologist. I could live with the pain and be on drugs or I could have a discectomy surgery to trim off those discs and set my pain FREE!! At first I was really upset about my options. I wanted to do anything to avoid surgery. But at the same time this had been going on for 9 months and in the last 6 weeks had become crippling. And we all know that I'd only end up here:
....if I were to stay on pain meds. Mr Jeff VanVonderen knows that. ::super ginorm sigh:: So, it was decided to go ahead with surgery and I should stop any and all physical therapy, etc cuz it was only making it worse.

I thought it would be a month until they could do the surgery but then I got a phone call from the surgeon (down in LA) that he had a cancellation and could I come the next week. I was so essited!! I'd done all my research and could not WAIT to be pain free. My doc said it was laproscopic and I could even go home the same day if I wanted to.

See how happy I was?
So I go into the surgery at a pain level of 6, and I wake up at a pain level of TEN, TEN, TEN, what the aych happened....10!!!!!!!! The Dr. UnMcDreamy couldn't figure it out, explained he'd given my nerve a huge space to be free, surgery went great, here are some pain meds and lets wait it out a bit. Morphine every 2 hours. Bringing the pain down from 10 to 9.5. 12 hours goes by. Dr. UNM comes to me again (this is the next day btw) saying maybe we can try giving you steroids to bring down inflammation cuz your nerve is "freaking out" and stuff. 12 more hours goes by. This is how happy I am feeling now:
I wouldn't recommend clicking to enlarge that pic. Don't blame me if you get some throw up come up in your mouth a little. You've been warned. Dr decides we'd better figure this out. Order x-rays, MRI, and new pain meds. Something called "dilaudid" every two hours. It brings me from a 10 down to a 7 for about an hour. It's an improvement, right?

PS. "dilaudid" is what killed this guy:
RIP MJ. R. I. P.

12 more hours goes by. Dr NONMcDreamyInTheI'mSeriousHe'sNotCuteSortOfWay comes in the morning to tell me that, guess what?, there IS something pinching my nerve still. Absofreakinlutely, and congratufreakinlations that you figured that out doc. You can feel that my patience was wearing thin at this time and I know you won't hold that against me either. He books an OR and has to take me in for surgery #2, open me up all the way, and find out what's going on.

I came out of surgery #2 saying things like, "He did it! He did it! Hallelujah! Give me some ice chips!" and things of that nature. It's a shame those things can't be recorded really, I'm sure I'd be a hit on YouTube instantly. Pain free is what I'm telling you. I was ecstatic. The DrNotHot came back to see me and explains what happened. My herniated disc had actually been there so long that it had calcified. So when he went in through his tiny hole he thought it was my bone. Oh and also I have a malformed sacrum in case you were wondering. So my nerve had been being pinched after the first surgery by bone instead of by softer disc material, hence my increase in pain. Splendid. And no one is surprised by this either. I'm weird. The End.

I stayed one more night in the hospital and they released me the next day. I went off all pain medications after the first surgery cold turkey, like an idiot, without thinking. My 1 day stay in the hospital had turned into 4 days and I couldn't get home to my kids fast enough. Little did I know (and no doc or nurse told me) that for the next 48 hours I would be having withdrawls and detoxing from those drugs they'd been giving me every two hours. That was.............um...........torture. I thought I was losing my mind until I talked to my brother and he explained that the skin crawling and panic attacks were prolly due to my detox and not just cuz I'd be put up in a mental institution any time soon. Imagine my relief right? It's like I know what those celebrities go through on Dr. Drew.

So, now I am doing a lot of this these days:
I mean, without the desert or the shoes. And not the hat either. And most of the time jammies or yoga pants but you get the idea. Luckily, I have some pretty amazing friends, and family that have helped out with food, treats, flowers, cards, kids, driving, lifting shopping bags, homemade t-shirts, gift packages with magazines and dark chocolate, etc.

That being said I can drive myself, shower myself, walk anywhere I need to, etc. I just have less energy to do it. Oh and I can't lift, bend or twist or gym for 2 months. ::sigh:: But I have some cool old people grabber things that help me pick up stuff. And I have three boy slaves to pitch it more around here. And I have an awes hubby who is doing it all and THEN some.

So there we go. Aren't you glad you came over here today?

::making phew sign on forehead::

17 comments:

Cristin said...

double PHEW!!! Yikeys on 2 surgeries but super YAY for no pain. I can't imagine putting up with that for how long you did. But I'm a big cry baby so... Enjoy your vacay while you can and pretend to not notice any messes.

Princess Kimi said...

Super informative! You are like my hero for realz now! I woulda been crying and cussing and other bad stuff like after 2 dayz/minutes!!!! You make the doc seem unfortunate looking. Is he actually ugly or just NOT Patrick Dempsey. Cuz that's not really fair.

p.s. I feel cheated that you didn't at least pretenz to stay addicted so we could get the folding chairs and stuff together. Now all we got is Katie..but no sprize "and we're sending your frouzin to rehab TOO".

ManicMandee said...

What a crappy time that was I'm sure. How the heck did you deal with all that back pain for so long before you finally got surgery though?! You are one tough cookie.

SAS said...

WOW! I am so sorry ou had to go through that and so glad you are better! So very informational. You are a nut!

I would like to come visit this week! I have been getting updates from yomama and didn't want to bug. It's time to come bug so tell me what day is best!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Some things to note:

1) you had the old people grabberz a looooooong time before any of this happened. Like, 10 years before.

B) Your parents got you a MAID for 6 months. I'd go through all this for a maid for 6 months. I'm pretty sure.

Orange) RIP Michael. R.I.P.

4) I feel gyped on the no Intervention too. I wanted to do one of the interviews in that one room and have "Landee, Memzy's cousin" on the bottom of the screen as I talked all about how fun & awesome you used to be before the diluadid took you away from me.

&) Glad you're done with this and Dr. NotDempsey was successful! (finally).

Krissy said...

That sounds like quite the ordeal. So glad you are feeling better and that the surgery went well!!

Flem said...

I am glad I came to hear the story--I am sorry and then happy for you too.

I also wish to reiterate all of landees points, though I learned about most of them just this second, I did remember you had the grabber and thought it was awesome. I tried to buy one but my kids broke it.

If you get bored, you can you always watch the BBC version of P&P again.

eekareek said...

Yay! for your back...finally.

Carol said...

I hesitated for just a moment before reading this post. Do I want to relive it with her? Will it make me cry again?

Great descriptive post but just to be clear---it was much worse than you/she describes here people. Much worse.

So glad it's behind you (pun intended) and you're feeling better. You look much better too and actually walk upright in a very straight position for the first time in months. Congrats.

Now . . . let's get on to the next event. Birthing Becca's fat little baby boy. 2 weeks out and the kid is already estimated to be over 9 lbs. I hear jumping on the trampoline is a good idea.

Pearl Girl said...

oh my gosh, I mean really. OH MY GOSH. That is all I can say. WOW get better quick!!

E said...

A maid??? I missed the part about the maid! Your parents rule!

Why'd you leave out the story about the super hawt nurse? That was the best part of your whole ordeal!

I'm so glad you're all better. I was worried sick! I almost had to have two surgeries to get rid of my worry.

Katie said...

::laughing::
::crying::
::throwing up in my mouth a little::

SO glad this story has a happy ending!

Janna said...

Wow. What a story! I'm so glad you are feeling better. Can't wait to hang with you again.

Emily said...

Ouchies! My back hurts just reading that. I'm glad they got you all fixed up and I hope you are good as new soon!

Memzy said...

Cristin--super Yay! And srsly on the pretending not to notice. It's getting hard

PrinessK--He actually NOT Patrick Dempsey kind. But I was in pain soooo. I agree on the folding chairs. I shoulda held out.

MM--Thanks again for all you did to help when you were here in town!

SAS--Come ANYtime!!

Landee--1)this is true but other people don't know this B)I'll get right on breaking your back so AV can get you a maid too. Orange) ::making fist chest bump then kissing and pointing to the sky:: 4)you can still just write the note and pretend and stuff &) Si claro

Krissy--Thanks!

Flem--As in Pride and Prejudice? Hmmmm

Eek--double yay!

Mom--thanks and true that about Becca

Pearl Girl--I know. Oh. My. Gosh

Jespy--It's true you gize, the nurse that had to put in a catheter was a total hotness on a stick. Even Shed said so. I can't believe I forgot to write that in!!

Katie--I knew I'd accomplish that!

Janna--Me too! We need to plan a date night.

thelma said...

i am glad the whole ordeal is over!!! i am even happier u are out of pain!!! thanx for the visuals. u are so awesome. i was real worried about u. u' be back to "normal" in no time see u soon

Anna B said...

Man that really sucks! Sorry I wasn't there for you. Hope you are doing much better by now.

Blog Archive

About Us